Shooting splashes requires a lot of trial and error. This was the final image after several sessions of shooting over one week. I shot about 45 different images, attempting to "freeze" the water at high speed. Each image required around 50 (and sometimes more) attempts to get the splash just the way I wanted. In the end, I sometimes made a composite of 2 or 3 images. After shooting fruit splashing into water, wine-filled glasses spilling on the table and ice cubes falling into glasses, I tried using balloons filled with water.
In a dark studio with the camera open, using a sound trigger to pop up the strobe and the balloon hanging from a pole, I popped the balloon with a pin. The trigger had to be calibrated in milliseconds to get it right. I went through a lot of balloons, as I was either capturing the moment too early or too late. Reviewing those images, I noticed that if I flipped the balloons upside down, they looked like a human head. I decided to try a conceptual image and use an old pair of headphones to enhance the concept. However, there was a problem: I had only two balloons left. As I said, it took a lot of trial and error to get the timing right. I popped the first balloon but the headphones fell inside the volume of water. I then fine-tuned the trigger to pop up the lights just a little earlier and the timing was perfect. I captured the moving water from the now popped balloon with the headphones seemingly suspended in place above.